Monday, April 26, 2010

Meatballs III

On Sunday, as I was pondering what to make for dinner, Dave pointed out that perhaps it was time for Meatballs III. I remembered a great recipe from this cookbook



The recipe is called "Polpette d'Artusi alla Villa Gaidello", and was adapted from a 19th century cookbook. The meat mixture is formed into patties, rather than meatballs. This recipe had by far the longest listing of ingredients for the meat mixture I have encountered: ground pancetta, ground chicken thigh, ground beef, chopped parsley, onions & garlic, currants, toasted pine nuts, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves. The meat patties were browned first and then finished in a sweet/sour sauce of glazed pearl onions, reduced stock and balsamic vinegar.



I made a side of brussel sprouts steamed and then sauteed in garlic and olive oil. The wine was a Cline mourvedre from the Sonoma-Carneros district whose bright berry notes went well with the currants in the meatballs and the sweet/sour balsamic vinegar sauce.

Dave says that of the 3 meatball recipes I've made lately, this one is the best. We'll have to see if I can top it...

No comments: