Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Tailored tops for the summer

After sewing all those knits, I was ready for a change of pace and since summer is upon us (even though it never gets very hot in San Francisco) I thought it would be nice to have some short-sleeved shirts made from woven fabric.

I made this February 2009 Burda magazine blouse (#125) from a black cotton blend, sort of as a wearable muslin because of reports from some people that the sleeves come out a little tight.



Here's my version



It fit fine, although I don't know why there are wrinkles across the upper chest in the picture. I think I'm going to make the same pattern in a different, brighter color.

Next shirt is a shortened version of this dress (#116) from the April 2010 Burda magazine



When I was tracing it out, the collar came in two sizes, and I accidentally made my shirt in the larger size destined for a different pattern. I didn't like it at first, but I think the unusual large collar is starting to grow on me...



That's it for the woven shirt-sleeved shirts for a while. The weather got cold again and I'm thinking about warm wool jersey tops again...

No comments: